Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A Day in the Life

This homeschooling thing is fairly new to us, just going into year two. Our first year was kind of a practice year as neither of our children were at the compulsory age for attendance in our state. So we buffed up our knowledge on the law, researched curriculum, attended our first homeschool conference, and established a game plan. Now we're in week six of our new school year with a second grader and a kindergartner. So, what's a typical day like in our world? A little crazy, full of love and laughter, and surrounded by God. 
                                                                            
                                                               A Day in the Life
I'm an early to rise person, up before the sun! I often start my morning with a quick spin on the treadmill and then a shower and coffee. I try to finish any house work before the boys wake up, too, and I check my meal plan for the day. I finish my morning routine by praying the rosary. If the kiddos are not awake by 7 a.m. I go ahead and get them up for breakfast and to prepare them for their school day. Our plan is to start school by 7:30, but this doesn't always happen. I've been working really hard at not rushing them and yelling for them to "hurry up". I've realized that this is the antithesis of a productive statement as it has absolutely no influence on a 5 year old and a 7 year old. I do not want my children to portray the poor little guy above! Not to mention the negativity that it places on myself and just really tends to put me in a bad place spiritually. So, anyways, school starts around 7:30ish! We combine religion, history, science, read alouds, and extra-curricular subjects. We start our morning with religion - bible study, timeline & maps, scripture memorization, virtues, saints, and Catholic topics and teachings. Next comes history, science, and our read alouds. After we finish our read alouds we take a short break for snack and some free time. I usually spend this time changing out laundry and prepping for future lessons. After a 15-20 minute break we meet again for our individual lessons in Language Arts and Math. Boogie Man and Sweet Pea each have a checklist of things that have to be finished. They can pick what the want to do first, second, etc., but everything on their list must be done! After everything is finished, each little one spends some time practicing the piano and then they are finished for the morning. We have lunch and then some free time in the afternoon. This is time for me to finish any work that I need to do. We meet again around 2:00 p.m. for our extra-curricular subjects and then Boogie Man and I have some one-on-one time for his sacrament preparation. He will be receiving his First Reconciliation and First Eucharist this year! That usually wraps up our typical school day. We're into soccer season now, so our evenings and weekends are filled with practice and game schedules, too.

There it is: A day in our life!
God Bless, 
Kristi

No comments:

Post a Comment