Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Nursery Rhymes and Sight Words

Oh, nursery rhymes, where have you gone? Has anyone else noticed the decline in popularity of nursery rhymes? When I was a classroom teacher, I always used nursery rhymes to teach rhymes, rhythm, and expressive language. I had an expectation that by the time children were in kindergarten or first grade that these nursery rhymes would have been memorized, but most children had never heard them before. Sad.

Personally, I love nursery rhymes! I love the endless possibilities that they provide for learning. I love that they can be silly, introduce new vocabulary, have simple rhymes, and contain sight words ... the possibilities are endless!

I have created this nursery rhyme sight word practice packet in order to merge these wonderful possibilities into your child's learning. Here are some ideas that you can do with this packet: read the focus sight word and the nursery rhyme, find and circle or highlight the focus sight word, identify rhyming words, write the focus sight word, and illustrate or act out the nursery rhyme. I told you that nursery rhymes can provide many opportunities for learning and fun! How do you use nursery rhymes in your classroom?

God Bless,
Kristi

No comments:

Post a Comment